12 August 2009

My Dad




On the 10 August 2009, my dad David Ozono, popularly known as “papa Ozono” passed on to glory! I can confidently and boldly say that because I know with every breath I have that my dad is with the Lord. Those who knew him also know that is true.

My dad lived in the service of God, he served God without reservations. That I know, I saw him lived out Matthew 5, yes he did. My dad gave of his time, talent, and resources to the service of his master.

He was a first century Christian there was no middle ground, for he took the word of God literarily. He loved his enemies, he blessed those who caused him, he prayed for those who despitefully used him, he brought peace wherever he went, he was truly a peace maker. He never, ever had a harsh word for anyone.


We cannot recall anytime my dad shouted or caused any of us or anyone. If you disobeyed he admonished in love, he lived out Ephesians 6:4 “Parents provoke not your children to wrath”. We his kids often joked, “If all Christians are like daddy, the world will be a better place”.

"My dad personified humility",
"He defined grace"
"He embodied love"
"He pursued peace at all cost".

Some berated him because they think he’s too slow, but I loved him because he was slow to anger but quick to love. “No wonder he composed a song out of 1st Corinthians 13, his favourite scripture.


My dad was a giver, he shared out of his necessity. He laboured hard for his kids
He shared his bread with the hungry.
It was so funny growing up, because there was always a brother or sister coming to our house for one thing or the other. Let me put things in perspective, I didn't come from a wealthy family where we had all we wanted, it was the opposite.

We were 11 kids all under a 2 bed flat! But it was joyful. It was out of that he shared, our food, our drink and our bed! We had no space, but dad always took someone in, the result today? I have lots of adopted brothers and sisters in the Lord.

He also lived out Matthew 6, my dad never worried about food, clothing, or shelter.

My dad taught me to hope:
Hope when things are good that they can be better.
He taught me contentment, in the mist of plenty and in the absence of much
He taught me to love, when it is reciprocated and when it is not.
He taught me to dance to the sound of music and to make my own when there’s no music
He taught me to pray earnestly, fervently and unceasingly, when things are going well and when they are not.


My dad did not bequeath me with silver or gold, but what he gave me is worth more than all the silver or gold put together.
“He gave me God’s love, he introduced me to God he showed me how to love”.

I can never tire of talking about my dad, how can I? So allow me:

My dad pioneered prison ministry in the then Bendel state, dragging my sisters and me along to minister in songs, little wonder that I have a passion for prison ministry today, that’s my inheritance, his gift of love to others.

Tears drop not of despair but of enduring memories for a man like no other mortal man. He showed what God’s love should be and demonstrated that love in words and deeds.

My dad was a musician, a singer, a composer, a conductor and a preacher, so it is no wonder that Dad has a song and scripture for every situation:

To those who hate he sang: if you don't love your neighbour you break all the laws
To those who have lost faith: he sang faith never gives up for God will do miracle
To those whose god is dead: he sang, is your God, dead try my own
To those who hunger for holiness he sang: make me to look at sin as you do O Lord
To those who lacked he sang: am a millionaire, my father is rich in houses and land and am his heir
To those waste their talents he sang: bury not your talent, it is the gift of God, for one day God will call you to account for your stewardship.
To those who doubt the existence of God he sang: there'll be no excuse that day
To those who face trials he sang: Our trials here on earth will cease some day, some great day
To those who enjoy pleasure at the expense of God he sang: There are some days ahead when the pleasures of life will cease to be pleasure and they will be problems
To those who face serious issues he sang: it is when condition is terrible, it is then Jesus will be wonderful.
To those who are small thinkers he sang: think big, pray big believe big and act big, God will make you bigger than your problem
To the Greatness of God he sang: God is great he has done me well, O my soul rise and praise the Lord.
To those who celebrates he sang: With a gladsome heart we will praise the Lord for he gave us victory over foe
To those who fear death he sang: Jesus lives forever more, there's no fear of death anymore
To those who feel they are either to great or too small to give their lives to Christ he sang: No one is too great and nobody is too small, come as you are to Jesus.
To those who believe in the rapture he sang: We shall fly in the air, we shall meet Jesus in the sky
To those who believe in heaven he sang: There's no night there, hallelujah there's no night there, for Jesus is the light.

What more can I say? I can go on and on and on and on, I have so much to say about this great man of God who was available to all and any, despite his position in the church.

He sang in crusades of thousands in the early 80s and 90s and composed many of the worship songs popularly being sang in Nigerian churches today, but he did all for God’s praise, not for personal gain. He never made a penny, growing up we didn’t see it that way we always thought he should have cashed in.

All I can say is thank you God for bringing me into this world via this vessel of honour.

One of his sons in the Lord Fred puts it like this:

"Papa is dead, but lies forever"
"Papa is free at last"
"I can see papa singing with the host of heaven”:
"Free at last, free at last, Thank God am free at last"


My desire and prayer is to be half the Christian my dad was, am still trying.

There’s no other father like my dad, everyone says that of their dad and you may disagree with me, but if you knew him you’ll agree.

33 comments:

Giagerry said...

sounds like a great man!
may his soul rest in PERFECT PEACE!

check out my blog, E-service coming soon!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear of your loss my dear....
You were a good daugther so am sure he would have felt loved while he was here.

My thoughts are with you and your family. God bless.

Chi

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you in the loss of your father and wishing there were words that could take away your sadness. With Our Sympathy to You and Your Family

May God comfort you and know that we were so very sorry to hear of your loss. With Deepest Sympathy, Aunty Debbie. Please know that sorrow does not last forever, but memories do. Thinking of you and wishing you comfort at this time of loss. You're in our thoughts now, and in the days to come.



Take care ma


Rachel

Anonymous said...

Fabulous piece for a great man indeed. His life is more than worth celebrating. “Worth celebrating” is not even enough to describe it.

I feel like I knew your dad from this little you have written about him. Yes little, because I know that he did far much more than this piece allowed.

Well done to you too my dear friend for all that you did for him. For now, he will keep on smiling down from heaven at you remembering all the wonderful love and care that you showed to him when he was alive. Debbie, now you can laugh for you have done what every child should do.

You have honoured him, therefore, your days will be long and peaceful on earth and your children will do the same for you because your dad has left a legacy.

Please send my love and regards to Joy too at this time and keep on praying for your mum. Finally, after reading this wonderful stuff about Pa Ozono, I think it will be befitting for you to go and pay your last respects to him. Ultimately, that is a decision for you and Tuoyo to make.

And oh! Aren’t I lucky to have been the last person to have baked him a birthday cake? I feel so priviledged.

God bless you Debbie. A friend I am glad to have. We may not get to see much but you are always on my mind and I am praying for you even now.



Take care.

Bessy

Anonymous said...

Dear Debs,



Please accept my sympathy, and on the other hand, I celebrate with you at the departure of your loving Dad.

May his soul rest in peace, having read this your e- mail,

I am really jealous of you, from how you’ve described the great work your dad did while on earth, How wonderful he was by taken the word of God literarily, which is not common this days.


I thank the Lord for his life, he’s free indeed. May the Lord strengthen you and the family. May his joy continue to be your strength and keep you in perfect peace.

Deborah S

Anonymous said...

Debbie dear,

May the Lord's peace be your portion and His joy, your strength. May He grant you all the Fortitude to bear this great loss.

As I said to you earlier on the phone. The bible says "we do not mourn as those without a hope". He is with his creator in heaven. Rest assured that by the grace of God, you all will see him again. May his soul rest in perfect peace in Jesus'name, amen.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY!
IT IS WELL!!

Lots of love and prayers,
Cleopatra.

Rita said...

Sorry about your loss, Debbie. I know there is never a right time to let go of someone you love. It is however gladdening to know he is with the Lord.

What a beautiful piece you wrote about him. I am sure he is proud of you.

Unknown said...

What a father he was!

I can see this man sitting in the heavenly place with our lord, smilling at you his Daughter!!!!

What a great man He was!
Now that we know where he was, no need to be afraid.

What a father he was!!!

May the lord be with you all his children, and may you carry on that good deeds he started.

Godbless you Debbie.
Luv always

sola

Rene said...

His smiling at you now proud of the child he raised.
Nice piece.

Anonymous said...

How're you & the family. I trust God that you're all well in Jesus name, Amen.

On behalf of my family, please accept our sincere condolences on the demise
of your dear beloved dad who we all believe is resting in the bossom of God.

May The Good Lord grant you all the gratitude to bear this great loss. How's
mum & your sibblings. I'll speak to you soon.

Take care & God bless,

Bisi

Anonymous said...

I thought I should share this with you, even at such a time as this. It is a description by Henry van Dyke.

"I am standing at the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck of white cloud, just where the sea and the sky come to mingle with each other...And just at that moment when someone at my side says: 'There she is gone!' there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout: 'Here she comes!' And that is dying"

The death of people whom we love brings sorrow and pain; but if our loved ones know the Lord, Our loss becomes their gain.

Because Christ lives, this death is not a tragedy but triumph over death.

...Death is swallowed up in victory.
O death, where is thy sting?
O grave, where is thy victory?
...Thanks be to God who giveth us the victory...

It is well...
Take care.
Love,

Nyore Okorodudu

Anonymous said...

Debbie,

Thank you for the email; from reading it I can surely see that the very special person that your father was, lives in you too.

God bless

Taryn x

Anonymous said...

Greetings. It nice hearing ur voice through ur e-mail to joy.
Oh wthat a glorious calling of papa ozono by His creator. I have miss him a lot, trying to see him, only to hear that The great singer, composer, preacher, teacher, motivitor, advicer etc has pass on to glory. I miss him, on till we meet @ jesus feet.
Pls keep me inform about his covocation ceremony.Don't cry papa has finish his work. we should thinking about ours.

pst sam.( El- shaddia)

Kafo said...

beautiful remembrance of a man of God

may God continue to comfort you and your family and bring you peace

stay blessed and beautiful

Remi, United Kingdom said...

sweetheart, I rejoice with you. Your dad sounds like truly amazing and wonderful man... wow... I celebrate with you because like we discussed, He has simply gone home to rest. I celebrate with you, for you had the blessed opportunity to honour him and God will always reward you for that. I celebrate with you, for you knew what it meant to have a father so in love with God, and who was a wonderful role model... I celebrate with you a life that was lived in purpose and in truth...

I pray that God comforts you and your family at this precious time... let me know if u goig or not, and what u need me to do..

Lots of love x *hugs*

Anonymous said...

my dear sister,

u have said it all. u captured what we all have in mind and know dad to be. people who did not have the privilege to know or be with him would think because he is our dad,but i tell you they can attest to it that there are dads and there are dads. i will only add to those who think they are in bondage and freedom eludes them dad sang free at last, free at last, I thank God am free at last.

thanks my sister, u are blessed and have just begun to manifest your blessings as dad lives on in glory.

please help admonish the others because before dads passage, i have begun to imbibe his attitude and life stlye and this accounted for my blossoming physically, they should learn to forgive, give and life for christ.

Your sister Emi

Anonymous said...

Debbs,

It is with great heaviness in my heart that I send my condolences. Do take heart and as you have rightly said, Thank god for a life spent with Jesus.
I will see you by his grace next week at work. Again, my condolences. May the good Lord strengten you and your entire family.
Regards
Akin Ajudua

My Quest said...

Wow! Your dad is the christian that we should all strive to be, as I read this piece I looked at my own life and all I desire and they become pale and insignificant. The only thing worth seeking and living for is for our Lord and Master Jesus.

He is in deed in glory, I join and celebrate his life with you.

Rina

Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie,

Thank you for letting us know about your dad. We were so sorry to hear that he has passed away. He was a lovely gracious man of God and we were happy to have been able to have fellowship with him for that short time.

Our thoughts and prayers are with both you, your mum and the rest of the family. Would you like me to pass the news around the prayer chain (which I am responsible for) to ask for prayers for your family at this time? Let me know.
With our love, Carol and Ray

Anonymous said...

Sweetheart! I am so sorry - hope you are well and let me know if you need anything. Much love

Ola

Anonymous said...

WOW.. sounds like he lived a life that made a real impact to others.....That is what counts in the long run I think

Nneka said...

Sweetheart,

I am so so sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. I pray that you and your family find the strenght to deal with your loss. I will give you a call in a few days.

take care,

Nneka Worrell

Anoda Phase said...

So sorry to read about your loss...hope ur family r hanging in there...I pray u all find strength in Christ...n it's good to know He's gone to be with the Lord...

Anonymous said...

Debbie,

I was so sorry to hear about your Dad and your tribute touched me as I was not privileged to have a relationship like that with my Dad.
He must have been so proud of you. What a soldier more young men should read that tribute. Maybe they won’t have known their own Dad but they could strive to be like yours with God all things are possible.
You should share some of this in Belmarsh and let your fathers evangelistic sprit live on I’m sure it would touch a lot of the men.



Know that we as a ministry will pray for you and your family I can see the God of comfort is so real in your lives.



Love and blessings

Bims

Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie,

My condolensces. But as christains, we thank God for the life he lived.
Your dad affected a lot of life for God and for that I know God is pleased and I know and believe he has gone to be with the Lord.

Thank God for the time he spent her on with us here, now we have to carry on his legacy. It is well.

Lovelyn

Kémi Penélopê said...

Dear Debbie,

My words can't begin to ease the sorrow of your loss. But know that you are in my prayers. Praying that the Lord will comfort you with His peace...

With Heartfelf sympathy,

Kemi

The poets voice ~~~ said...

Your father seemed like a great man..he really lived life caring for others and not just himself. I pray that the Lord will comfort you and your family.

May His soul rest in perfect peace..
My heart goes out to you, full of sympathy...I am with you in prayers.x

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,

Please accept our sympathy on the passing of your Dad. We pray that God will strengthen and comfort you and your entire family during this time. We thank God for the life he lived and for the lives he touched especially the example that he was to you. Thank you for taking the time to share what he meant to you and our prayer is that you also will shine like a star as your Dad did. He has left a good legacy and we trust that you too will fulfil all that God has called you to do.

Rise, Run and Reign....

Much Love

Tayo and Joke.

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,

I am so sorry to hear about your dad, so sorry. It is evident that he was a great man from what you have said about him below. I pray that God, your heavenly daddy will strengthen, console and love on you and your whole family at this time.

God Bless and thinking of you.

Love,

Connie

Lovelyn said...

Dear Debbie,

Sometimes I wish that wonderful people like papa will be with us forever, for us to continually look to as a reference point.

For those of us who knew papa, we knew what a wonderful father he was and not just to you his kids but to us all and what he did for the Lord.

Growing up, whenever I came over to the house, I always use to wonder that in the midst of little, everbody had something and were happy. Only the joy that God gives and the contentment that comes from trusting in him can do that.

How did we go through school Debbie, remember? Anyone in our shoes would have good excuses to live a terrible life. But with a wonderful dad who taught his kids to know, love and trust God, we are what we are today.

Papa was an example of what a christain father should be. No compromising- white is white and black is black, live your life the bibile way. People like papa are the true heroes of our time.

And am sure he's so proud of you, you were a wonderful child to him and the Lord will bless you and Tuoyo abundantly.I bless the Lord for you his kids, not many people had such a wonderful father to stir them in the right way

For me, papa's life is one of celebration and not one to weep over. He fought a good fight and finished the race well and he has gone home to rest awaiting our arrival when the time comes.

We thak God for papa.

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
We had wanted to say "we commiserate with you" on the death of your Dad, but on reading the glowing tribute you paid him, we can only join you to say "we celebrate with you the life of your Dad.

It was such a joy reading the tribute to your late Dad. Indeed, sweet is the remembrance of the righteous I'm sure the angels and the saints in heaven are still rejoicing over the arrival of your dad for precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of a saint.

May his gentle soul continue to rest in the bossom of our saviour till we all meet to part no more.

Emmanuel and Odun King

David C Brown said...

And he will receive His master's "Well done".

Unknown said...

At the gate he paused as an angel came running towards him with a scroll in hand. "You have a letter" the angel said, handing over the scroll to him. As he unfolds the scroll, the angel whispered, "it's from earth". Father's face brightens, for there staring at him is this beautiful post and all the wonderful hearts that have dropped a comment.He wiped the tears that was already beginning to form. No doubt, he is very proud of you!



Thanks for stopping by my blog.

And yes, I wrote the post.