7 December 2015

Light and darkness

 

My kids will do anything to avoid going down for the night. 
Often, after our nightly routine of reading, praying, singing, good nights and hugs, comes; Mummy I need to wee, mummy 
One more cuddle,
"Mummy, you did not give us water", 
"Mummy, you did not pray". 
I usually go back and to get them to sleep, do whatever it is they want, letting them know this is the last request I will honor.

So yesterday's line was. 
"I am scared" mummy, began my little girl. "Scared of what I asked?"
Ignoring my question, she carried on, it's too dark. 
"Are you scared of the dark"? 
"Yes" came the answer.
This is a room with a little light glowing in the  corner, so it isn't completely dark. This light comes on every night and stays on till the morning lights appear. Yet another stunt to avoid going down for the night. 
What should we do about the dark I asked, 
Put the light on, which light? I asked, the light is already on, I continued. 
"I want the big light" no darling, it's time to sleep... 

There's something about light that gives reassurance when it's dark, 
Light encourages happiness, hence summer months are filled with gaiety and smiles.
We avoid going through a dark alley, because we don't know what lurks in the dark. 
I don't like leaving my kids in the dark and also do not like the idea of sleeping in the dark. Whenever I am in an unfamiliar environment like hotel rooms, there has to be some form of light before I can fall asleep.

So you will understand when I say, I love the Christmas season because of the different array of lights in every major,  or minor street corner. Blue, red, yellow, green and lights of every colour adore our homes. 
Street lights are put up with so much celebration, some shopping malls go to great lengths to pay for celebrities to turn on the light. 
Halls are dressed for the occasion, with
Front pouch is singled out for out door display of sleigh, rains deer and more lights.

Light is beautiful. 
It cannot be hidden. Wherever there is light it glows, it does not matter how small the light, it always displaces darkness.

I do not know the origin of the Christmas display of lights. But I do know one who is the light of the
world. His light is not seasonal, but all year round. He takes the gloom and fills each heart with joy and glory. The stars celebrated his birth, his light drew kings to his presence. 

The heart of men was enlightened by his coming, peace was restored to a broken world. 
The best thing of all is that he lives in those who acknowledged him as Lord and saviour. And will be a light to them. He declared, ' I am the light of the world, whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life. John 8:12

So if we are light, as stated in Matthew 5:14, lets beam out for all to see. There is so much gloom and doom in our world today, man's hatred for each other depicted in grime acts of violence and terror
Causes People to run scared. 

As light, let's be the reassurance, the hope and comfort people seek,  let's shine bright for all to see, so that many will be drawn to His light. 
Jesus came to turn our darkness to light, our despair into hope. We are carriers of hope, so let's portray the light within us, let us live as people of light, igniting hope, purity and truth.
Throughout this season and always. 



 

No comments: